I am extremely excited to push Arcane Vale 0.1.3 from beta to live. This update features a completely new, and improved collision system for the game, which makes navigating through forests much easier!
Here you can see the new collision system in action, sliding off terrain and objects (Thank you Splattercat for pointing it out!)
Also included are some improvements to the farming system, specifically the hoe, which can now be used to transform farm dirt back into grass!
Here is the full list of changes –
Changes & additions –
• Implemented ‘slippery’ collisions – Improve collision/slide off stuff
• Large chests can now be unlocked and crafted at the workbench
• Town guards will now more actively hunt and kill any monsters that enter town
• Added region names to the map
• Added new goblin worker animations
• Banners can now be picked up
• Using the hoe on farmed dirt will now revert it back to grass
• Removed weapon slash effect from woodcutting axe
• Increase cull range of solid objects slight to prevent NPC’s bypassing fences
Bug fixes –
• Fixed a bug which would allow you to loot multiple ancient artifacts at once
• Fixed visual glitch when riding horses over fire
• Fixed a bug which would cause Andy to get stuck during the ‘Teach a man to fish’ questline
• Fixed repairing items sometimes causing the item to lose its upgrades
• Fixed a rare bug which could cause the sprinkler to randomly stop working until the game was reloaded
• Fixed crash when killing sharks in the ocean
• Fixed ‘Over the hill’ quest reward taking 300 gold instead of giving it
• Fixed visual glitch when using hoe on some tiles
• Fixed bug which would allow you to enter the pirates cove while mounting without the correct attire
• Sleeping bag now correctly draws player sprite
• Several missing translated texts have been added, some new spelling mistakes fixed
• Increased Compsognathus level from 3 to 5
Temporary changes –
• Temporarily changed the condition of the ‘Orcish invasion’ quest to allow hand in without Magub’s hand. Investigating why it is going missing sometimes.That is all for today, if you have an idea’s or sugesstions or want to stay up-to date with development be sure to join the discord!
The wait is finally over! After many sleepless nights, Arcane Vale is now available on steam for you to play and enjoy! I have been working really hard on Arcane Vale the past few years and hope you love playing it as much as I loved making it.
Arcane Vale is an action packed open-world adventure game. It’s up to you to complete your fathers legacy and discover a long lost treasure as you are thrust into a world full of discovery!
Explore a huge open-world full of deadly creatures and hidden secrets. Complete quests to win favor with the local inhabitants, in return, they may just help you on your journey. Level up your skills and equipment to become stronger as you face ever more powerful and deadly foes.
Arcane Vale 1.0 features –
- A huge open-world to explore filled with unique characters and enemies to discover. As you explore you will encounter new and unique characters. Each with their story to tell, choose to help them in their struggles and they may reward you!
- Level up your skills to become stronger. Mastering skills will allow you to craft and wield stronger weapons and armor, brew powerful potions, and cook delicious food. All will help you on your journey.
- Fight your way through caves and crypts, defeating deadly bosses to unearth lost secrets and hidden treasure!
- Hundreds of items to discover and unlock
Good luck on your adventures!
It has been a pretty intense few weeks since the last update and I have been looking forward to finally posting some of the changes and features I have been adding. Life on Titan has gotten a bit more deadly recently, with several new boss’s making their way onto the planet. Life has also gotten a bit more stable, with a complete overhaul of the way that enemies and objects are saved and loaded from the map, resulting in increased performance (especially in animal breeding), stability and no more having to save the game – the game now automatically saves every few seconds.
This week I added the ability to choose a skin in the character creation screen, there is currently two to choose from –
I have updated the way that pet AI and human survivors work too, they are now a bit more intelligent in the way that they follow you. They will also offer assistance in combat if needed.
I spent a large part of last week improving the way that the grasslands biome looks and feels. There is now far more foliage in the grasslands and greater diversity of tree’s. There is still more to come but here is a quick preview –
This week I improved the digging mechanics too. Digging now detects the biome you are in which directly effects the loot you can receive, with some very special items (albeit very rare) to find –
Player housing is also something I have been tweaking. The original inception of the player built houses were instanced maps, however I felt this has no consequence and did not fit the survival theme of the game. I have since re-worked this system to now have a seamless transition between inside and outside of player housing. Certain enemies will attempt to break so it is important to have a strong door on if you want to protect your home –
Lastly I have been tweaking the games core questline. I don’t want to give out any spoilers just yet but here is a quick tease of one of the games new quest areas!
That is all for this week. I would love to hear your suggestions and critique. Please consider joining the games discord for beta access too -> https://discord.gg/MpcUQjK
It’s been a few weeks since my last post and lot’s has changed in that time! I have been working quite heavily on improving the world generation of the game, all 7 intended biomes are now present as-well as several randomly generated islands to explore!
There is still some work to be done with smoothing the terrain transitions and adding variation the island shapes but at it’s core everything is in place and ready to explore!
In other news I have been modifying the minimap screen to be more intuitive and interactive. It now features a full screen view with quests as-well the ability to toggle markers on and off.
Also I have been working on adding several new bosses, an achievement framework, pet system and numerous performance and balance tweaks. Really excited to be showing these new features off in the next few weeks, but for now a sneak peak of an upcoming boss!
That is all for today. If you have any idea’s or feedback please send it my way!
I will shortly be setting up a discord server too to log progress and take feedback, PM me if you might be interested in joining.
I have been wanting to make a development thread for a while but the game wasn’t quite there yet. Finally I think I am at a good point to start logging my progress! So without further ado I present to you Surviving Titan, an open world, randomly generated sci-fi survival adventure game.
You crash land on the planet Titan, suffering from amnesia and with the ships scanners unable to detect any signs of civilization you begin the task of exploring the planet looking for any signs of intelligent life. You are accompanied by a survival droid, standard issue for any escape pod. Their job is to keep you alive.
The game features a completely randomly generated open world to explore, with 7 core biomes that piece it together. Each biome has it’s owned unique landscape, resources and inhabitants (friendly or otherwise). Some crafting recipes require item’s that can only be gathered from specific biomes so exploration is key.
Here is a rough image of the current world biome map, it is still actively being improved but getting there –
This game has a much large scope than anything I have ever made before, but also is alot more complete as I have iterated and improved mechanics from previous games. There are several tiers of crafting, with one of the final tiers giving you the ability to create a teleportation pad that allows you to move across the map almost instantly –
The game currently features several skills for you to level up, including –
Leveling up these skills grants you points that can be spent to unlock perks or crafting recipes as-well as other things. The system is not fully fleshed out yet but here is an example of what the final skill tree system might look like –
Here is a brief look at some of the higher tier items in the game and things you can discover –
I am really looking forward to posting new content as the game progresses.
That is all now now!
Today we are releasing version 1.4.0 of A Tale of Survival! We are extremely proud of this release version and cannot wait to hear your feedback!
Version 1.4.0 –
- Improved crafting gui positioning for tablet devices
- Fixed annoying joystick gui clicking issues!
- Crafting arrows now only gives 2 arrows instead of three
- Fixed bug with arrows sticking to dead npcs
- Fixed wool cloth sprite
- Fixed bug with cancel button not disappearing after bow shot
- Fixed bug with bow doing melee and ranged damage at the same time
- Greatly increased the swimming speed of sea snakes
- Sea snakes are now aggressive
- Amethyst necklace now requires a gold bar to craft
- Fixed button with craft button sometimes activating nearby resources
- Beacon now requires gold bar and amethyst to craft
- You can now reselect object and item placement positioning before it finishes
- Fixed bug with backup saving that was not correctly save inventory data
- Fixed bug with world saving that did not save the correct player position
- Bandages are now limited to one use at a time
- Added two new mineable rocks! clay stone and sandstone
- Fixed bug with bandage modifier icon not disappearing
- Fixed depth of growing resources
- Fixed depth of furnace overlapping player
- Improved song fade in and out timers
- Increased speed of wolf by 0.2
- Fixed bug with joystick controls and raft movement
- Passive npc’s no longer activate combat music
- Disabled resolution change on mobile devices
- Fixed bug with weapon durability showing up multiple times in modifier list
- Fixed bug with resources sometimes disappearing
- Reduced memory load of world generation slightly
- Fixed bug with gates sometimes not letting the user pass through when open
- Fixed bug where fishing rod could be unequipped whilst fishing
- Fixed bug with details not displaying on upper 10% of map sometimes
Version 1.4.2 –
- Changed targeting with mouse to only allow item pickup and object interaction
- Fixed bug with shadow positioning
- Added shadows to growing resources
- Improved depth of resources for few overlaps
- Fixed items disappearing in some cases when loading a game
Thats all for today guys,
We are pleased to announce A Tale of Survival version 1.3.1 which will shortly be available! This update contains a host of changes to some of the games cores features which we hope will make for a much better experience!
- Two completely new tracks! A full length day and night theme by our composer Mike Frank
- Fixed error with key rebinding not configuring correctly sometimes
- Reduced world generation time by 15%
- Fixed bug when entering dungeons that could cause a delay
- Resources now no longer block cave exits
- Increased base day and night lengths slightly
- Joystick now only activates in the lower left quadrant of the screen
- Added onscreen indicator for beacon to find your way home!
- Added cool down to opening and closing interact options with objects
- Increased damage of lava by 3
- Fixed ‘sticky joystick’ bug
- Fixed issue with raft controls
- Improved depth sorting on some objects
- Fixed bug when placing plants that would sometimes change their position
- increased spawn rate of coal by 15%
- Objects can now be placed on top of grass cliffs!
- Removed delta timing from core
- Chests now spawn in dungeons with more cool loot!
- Improved spawn collision detection for npcs and player
- Improved depth sorting for long grass and reeds to not overlap objects
- Fixed bug with item saving that would sometimes cause an error
- Fixed bug with rain icon sometimes displaying multiple times
- Improved placement of resources to not overlap
Looking forward to hearing your feedback on this one!
Thanks have great day –
Today we are releasing a new update to address a number of performance based issues associated with a previous version of the game engine. This includes a memory leak discovered in a beta version of the engine.
In addition to this there are a number of changes, better object placement detection and new discoveries on the island.
– Version 1.2.0 –
- Fixed bug when placing objects which would not display some blocked paths
- Fixed bug with npcs not displaying correctly sometimes when loading a game
- Fixed bug with world generator causing an error on initial load
- Statues now give a random, high level item when discovering them
- Fixed an issue with surfaces drawing incorrectly when loading a game
- Added multi-touch to item pick-up and inventory items to allow much smoother movement and consumable use
- Fixed error when collecting some resources
- Added sounds to menu options buttons
- Added save option when exiting the game
- Fixed potential bug with character creation
- Fixed bug with raft not moving when rebinding controls
This update will be rolled out shortly and will be available for both free and paid version of A Tale of Survival across all currently available platforms and marketplaces.
Sorry for the delay in releasing this latest update. This version of A Tale of Survival aims to fix a few issues identified since the latest update as-well as add some more functionality to the shovel item which can now be used to also remove exhausted resources such as tree’s or mining rocks to allow room for more building!
In the coming weeks we are preparing for a bug feature update, which will include new creature AI, some new items as-well and one new resource!
Here are the patch notes –
– Version 1.1.94 –
• Fixed bug with the bandage item causing a crash when used
• Fixed bug when gathering some resources which would cause a random crash
• Fixed bug when sometimes double clicking resources which would give double drops
• Fixed bug which prevented the first item in a chest from being taken
• Chest no longer drags when selecting an item
• Fixed bug with statistics being incorrectly labelled
• Fixed bug with shovel not visually removing details
• Shovel can now be used to remove exhausted resources from the game
• Fixed a bug with ground items rarely causing a bug while saving the game
A Tale of Survival is currently available from the following app-stores –
That is all for today guys, as always we are always looking for any new ideas, criticisms and feedback! Use the contact page on our website and let us know what you think.
Have a great day,